ScaleTrains Rivet 33306 HO Scale Gunderson 5188 Covered Hopper Union Pacific UP/CMO 22583
Grain and grain products are one of the leading commodities hauled by railroads today. Typically carried in covered hoppers, designs have evolved over the years to increase the efficiency of handling this vital commodity. One of the more popular designs to emerge in recent years is the Gunderson-GIMSA/Concarril 5188cf Covered Hopper.
The Gunderson 5188cf is a large 3-bay hopper that measures 58’ over the coupler centers and is built to fit within the Plate C clearance diagram. These all-steel cars feature a capacity of 5,188 cubic feet and are equipped with trough-style loading hatches for efficient loading. The hatch covers can either be made of metal or non-metal materials depending upon customer specifications. Each of its three bays features a 30” x 30” outlet opening, which can be outfitted with a variety of outlet types depending upon customer requirements and/or commodities to be handled.
With the production of these cars starting in 2007, they have gone through several design changes including the quantity and width of panels used to construct the car sides, addition of two or four large horizontal ribs on the car sides, and placement and design of pulling loops.
- Era: 2014 to Present
- Series 22500 to 22799, built 9-10/14
- Road numbers 22519, 22576, 22583, 22688, 22767 and 22797
- New paint scheme
- Stand in car for Gunderson 5200 cu ft.
- Multiple road numbers
- 12 panels, 10 intermediate panels, all the same width
- Roping eyes mounted on the stub sill near the stirrup steps
- Fiberglass ATP Quantum Plus Roof Hatches
- Miner AutoLok II Gravity/Pneumatic Outlet Gates for grain or plastic
- See-through photo-etched stainless-steel metal roofwalk with metal grab irons
- See-through photo-etched stainless-steel metal end crossover platforms
- Factory-applied ladders with metal rungs
- Photo etched metal stirrup steps
- Finely detailed brake plumbing, linkage, triple valve, cylinder, and actuator
- Brake wheel, stand, and chain
- Factory-applied wire trainline pipe with brackets
- Durable die-cast metal semi-scale Type E lower shelf knuckle couplers
- ASF Ride Control Trucks with finely rendered raised foundry data, rotating bearing caps, separate brake beams, and side bearing detail
- 33” machined metal wheels
- Accurately profiled .110" wide wheel tread
- Factory-applied shaker brackets, metal grab irons, coupler cut levers, and trainline hoses with silver gladhands
- Conspicuity stripes
- Printing and lettering legible even under magnification
- Weighted to Industry standards for reliable operation
- Operates on Code 70, 83 and 100 rail
- Packaging safely stores model
- Minimum radius: 18”
- Recommended radius: 22”
NOTE: Road number may vary from picture shown.