Rapido Trains 138011A HO Scale F30A 50' Flatcar Pennsylvania "Early" PRR
The Pennsylvania Railroad’s class F30A flat cars were one of the most numerous classes of flat cars on that railroad with 1500 being built between 1933 and1934. The cars were so successful that the PRR built another 250 nearly identical copies in 1951, classified as F30D.
Starting in 1954, the Pennsy converted many F30D flat cars into early piggyback service cars. These cars received perforated side rub rails, end loading ramps, and four side posts.
Eighty-six cars were transferred to the new Trailer Train Company (TTX) between 1957 and 1958. These received additional upgrades in the form of ACF trailer hitches, revised side rails, and upgraded end ramps. The TTX cars also received roller bearing conversions on their trucks. These cars were used by TTX into the 1980s, many being upgraded with full roller bearing trucks and some even painted in TTX’s yellow scheme.
The PRR utilized a massive one-piece steel casting for these F30 flat cars, and that sturdy construction meant that many have lasted an incredibly long time. In fact, several ex-TTX cars were purchased by BN and converted to crosstie-cars, with most still in service with BNSF today!
- Die-cast chassis and deck for optimum weight
- Correct trucks (PRR 2E-F10, roller bearing converted or full roller bearing trucks)
- Turned metal wheels
- Rapido’s semi-scale couplers
- Full brake rigging
- Separate grab irons