Athearn 16358 HO Scale 16k Clay Slurry Tank Car SHPX
3 Pack #2
Kaolin, a fine white clay, is produced by the natural chemical weathering of aluminum silicate minerals such as feldspar. Mined in the southeast United States (primarily Georgia and Florida), kaolin is used in the manufacture of ceramics, bricks, light bulbs, cosmetics, medicines and food additives. The largest use is in the manufacturing of paper, especially in creating glossy paper. Kaolin is shipped both as a dry powder in covered hoppers and in tank cars with water as a slurry. In the slurry form the weight of water requires the tank cars be smaller capacity compared to other liquids such as ethanol and LPG. Identical tank cars are also used to haul calcium carbonate slurry, used in the making of lime and cement.
One of the more modern versions of the 16K Gallon Tank car is designed and manufactured by UTLX Manufacturing Inc (formerly Union Tank Car). The car is a 286K (referring to a 286,000 pound gross rail load limit) design with a capacity of approximately 16,000 gallons. The capacity varies slightly between UTLX and Englehard, the operators of the cars. The car is an AAR Plate C clearance car with a 111-inch I.D. tank and an overall length of 44 feet. For a complete bottom unloading the car incorporates a Funnel-Flow design. The cars are lined and kept in dedicated service to avoid cross-contamination.
- Separately applied fittings nozzle, manway, and small safety valve nozzle
- See-through Photo-etched metal walkways and end platforms
- Full brake plumbing and rigging including brake wheel, air reservoir cylinder, triple valve, brake linkage, trainline, brake rod, large brake
- Printed marking on the sides, ends, and top of the tank body
- Fine scale side ladders
- Placard holders
- Equipped with McHenry® AAR upper/lower shelf couplers
- 36” solid nickel silver wheels with RP25 contours operate on all popular brands of track
- Multi-packs feature unique road numbers
- Minimum radius: 18”