ScaleTrains HO Scale 32793 Thrall-Trinity 42' Steel Coil Car Norfolk Southern Protect III NS 167152
In the mid-1990’s, Thrall Car Manufacturing introduced their 42’ coil car. This car shared many traits common to other Thrall built coil steel cars including the basic body construction and jack pad design. The two major differences were the shorter car length and use of a single hood instead of two.
In 2001, Trinity purchased Thrall Car Manufacturing and continued building the 42’ Coil Car until 2012. Trinity relocated the end handrails from the ends of the hood to the ends of the car.
These cars are often seen in singles or small groups roaming North America.
- Era: mid 1990s to present
- Series 167000-167199 class CS-17, built 11/94 to 1/95
- Multiple road numbers
- Early: built by Thrall: Thrall builder logos, heavy “H” shaped reinforcement on top of draft gear, and end handrails attached to hood ends
- Protect III Hood, unique to Norfolk Southern
- Hoods are constructed with up to 47 individual parts including 32 photo etched handrail stanchions, six wireform handrails, four wireform grab irons, two hood stacking brackets, two hood top braces, and lifting bail
- Five (5) wrapped coil steel weight loads: two (2) small, two (2) medium, and one (1) large
- Separate positionable coil steel load dividers
- Simulated wood interior floor using hand applied wash
- Body has four wireform side grab irons
- Factory-applied hood guides; brake wheel, stand, and chain; coupler cut levers; and trainline hoses
- See-through photo-etched metal wrap-around walkway
- Photo-etched stainless steel see-through coupler crossover platforms
- Durable die-cast metal semi-scale lower shelf Type E couplers
- Complete underbody brake system with over 20 separately applied parts including air reservoir, control valve, retainer valve, and wireform plumbing
- ASF Family of Trucks (FOT) 100-ton truck with finely rendered raised foundry data and rotating black bearing caps
- 36” machined metal wheels with accurately profiled .110″ wide wheel tread
- Operates on Code 70, 83 and 100 rail
- Weighted to Industry standards for reliable operation
- Printing and lettering legible even under magnification
- Packaging safely stores model
- Recommended radius 18”
NOTE: Road number may vary from picture shown.